Bottled water trends come and go, but is it all hype with alkaline water? Here’s what you need to know about the darling of the bottled water industry, what it can do for your health, and how you can prepare it at home.
What makes alkaline water special?
Alkaline water, also called ionised water, has a higher pH level than regular drinking water. Certain brands of bottled alkaline water have a pH level of 9 while non-alkaline water typically sits at 7 – right in the middle of the pH scale.
The pH scale has a numerical range of 1 to 14 and serves as a basis for determining how alkaline or acidic a certain substance is – with 1 being indicative of high acidity and 14 indicating that the substance is very alkaline.
Some of alkaline water’s benefits include:
- Better hydration – A 2016 study in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition found those who drank electrolyte-rich alkaline water after a strenuous workout had lower blood viscosity compared to those who drank regular purified water during recovery, suggesting that those who drank alkaline water post-workout were better hydrated. Blood viscosity, the measure of how efficiently blood flows through vessels, is often an indicator of hydration.
- Enhanced performance – Proper hydration is crucial to physical performance, both in the gym and the court. That’s why the American College of Sports Medicine rolled out guidelines for fluid replacement during sports and exercise. And since alkaline water has been shown to be more hydrating than standard filtered water, it can do a better job of sustaining you during workouts and games.
Maximise gym time and blow them away during your next sports when you show up hydrated. Our portable jugs come with built-in filters that ionise regular tap water – take one with you to the gym and feel the difference.
- Stomach health – A 2012 study in theAnnals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology found that alkaline water with a pH level of 8.8 may have therapeutic benefits for those with acid reflux. The high pH level of alkaline water deactivates pepsin, the enzyme that breaks down proteins and causes the most damage to the pharynx, larynx, and lungs when reflux reaches past the upper esophagus. So if you’ve been getting one too many instances of heartburn, it might be time to switch.
- Longevity – A survival study of laboratory mice found that those that were treated with alkaline water showed better survival and a longer lifespan than their non-alkaline treated counterparts. Alkaline water was also shown to decelerate aging in mice by increasing their survival functions.
But do these arguments hold water? There’s only one way to find out – try alkaline water yourself. Or better yet, make it yourself in the comfort of your own home.
How to enjoy alkaline water at home
Feel free to skip those single-use bottles at the shops – there are several recipes and methods to help you make your own alkaline water at home, including:
- Lemon – Lemons are acidic, scoring between 2 and 3 on the pH scale. But Healthline argues that lemons produce alkaline byproducts once metabolised. You can enjoy their alkalising effects (and tangy flavour) by adding a bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice to your drinking water.
- Baking Soda – As an alkaline substance, baking soda (also called sodium bicarbonate) can raise your drinking water’s pH level. Just mix half a tablespoon with four litres of clean, potable water. Wait for it to dissolve before you start drinking.
- Water filtration systems – You can increase tap water’s alkaline properties with bench top filters and faucet attachments that help raise the pH levels. Not only does this help purify tap water, it also makes regular drinking water go from neutral to alkaline on the pH scale.
And best of all, it requires little to no effort on your part. Just install the system and replace the filters as needed. We can even send you a notification when it’s time to change filters.
Enjoy clean, healthy, ionised water with Waters Co. Our water filters were designed to help you enjoy great-tasting water that fully hydrates and nourishes the body. Visit our shop to get the latest products and promotions.