Water filtration can improve the cleanliness and overall quality of tap water in your home. But is the extra step really worth it?
The short answer is yes. Filtered water can boost your health in more ways than one. Find out how it can contribute to your well-being.
Why bother using a filter for tap water?
Water filtration is a quick, easy, and affordable way of making sure that your tap water is clean and safe to drink. Although public water sources are regulated by water agencies, water quality varies with every territory, state, and city. Further water quality can vary with each season.
Natural disasters like bushfires and flooding as well as human activities like farming, mining, and increased tourism can also affect local water sources.
And while local agencies make sure that the local water quality meets strict government standards, there is no harm in using a water filter to safeguard your health.
Further there are many water filtration systems available in the markets that are easy to install and maintain. Waters Co offers a wide range of bench top filters for residential and light commercial use.
The health benefits of drinking filtered water
- Remove chemicals, microorganisms, and other contaminants – Regular tap water can contain many natural and artificial impurities. These impurities include bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and elevated metals like copper and lead. While some are relatively harmless, others can have short-term or long-term health consequences.
Studies have linked high levels of fluoridated PFAS (per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances) in drinking water to higher rates of infertility, premature birth, and low birthweight babies.
Installing a water filtration system provides added protection from chemicals by removing fluoride, chlorine, and chlorination byproducts from tap water.
- Improve the absorption of nutrients and minerals – Tap water often contains added minerals like potassium, magnesium, and calcium. According to Medical News Today, magnesium in tap water and other sources plays an important role in regulating blood pressure and blood glucose levels. Further proper hydration can help the body absorb nutrients from a balanced diet.
- Improve the taste and quality of drinking water – Chlorinated water often has an off-taste and odour that some may find unpleasant. Water filtration can help improve the taste and smell of chlorinated water if you’re particularly sensitive. It can also enhance the flavour of herbals teas, coffee, and other drinks that have been prepared with tap water.
- Avoid single-use plastic water bottles – According to Choice, Aussies spend up to half a billion dollars on bottled water each year. Not only is bottled water more expensive than filtered tap water, it also contributes to plastic waste. Only an estimated 35% of single-use water bottles are recycled. Choosing filtered over bottled water can help reduce plastic waste.
How to have access to filtered water at all times
You can have access to clean water no matter where you are. Here’s how to keep your drinking water free of contaminants:
- Install a bench top filter at home – As mentioned, installing a bench top filter is a cost-effective way of ensuring that your family has access to clean drinking water. Bench top filters are easy to install and replace. Heavy-duty bench top filters with larger reservoirs have a capacity of up to 10 litres.
- Keep a jug with a built-in filter in the refrigerator – If you prefer cold drinking water, keep a water filter jug in the refrigerator for quick refills. Compared to bench top filters, water filter jugs take up less space in your kitchen. Despite their smaller size, however, they are just as effective at eliminating impurities in drinking water.
- Bring a reusable bottle with a built-in filter wherever you go – If you live an active lifestyle, keep a reusable filter bottle in your bag, car, or work desk. This lets you filter water from public taps and drinking fountains. It also does away with the need to buy bottled water from the shops.
Waters Co is committed to bringing the latest in filtration technology to Australian households. Visit our store for high-quality countertop filters, personal water jugs, and more.