Many Australians use tap water for cooking with the belief that heat during the cooking process will eliminate contaminants and microorganisms. This practice could be harmful to your health.
Although drinking water service providers must comply with Australian Drinking Water Guidelines to safeguard public health, your tap water can still contain chemicals and additives.
Tap water may contain chemicals from industrial waste, as well as minerals like lead and mercury. Most Australian cities also fluoridate their water supply or add chlorine during the treatment process.
That’s why it isn’t enough to use fresh, organic ingredients when cooking. Make sure your water is just as healthy as the meals you’re preparing by using a water filter.
The consequences of cooking with contaminated water
Chlorine is known to oxidise and hasten the body’s ageing process. Fluoride has been shown to cause dental discolouration and other health issues when consumed in excessive amounts. Microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses can cause illness.
Aside from the health implications of cooking with contaminated water, using water straight from the tap also has a negative effect on food quality and presentation.
For instance, chlorine, rust, and other mineral deposits can be absorbed into meat and vegetables during the cooking process, affecting taste and texture.
Water quality also has a big impact on the taste of your drinks, particularly when it comes to beverages like coffee, lemonade, and hot cocoa.
Likewise, chlorine can bleach vegetables while they cook so that they look dull instead of vibrant.
Hard water containing minerals can also affect the way yeast causes dough to rise – those who bake using tap water might find that their bread isn’t rising properly.
Even cooks with remarkable skill may have a hard time getting their food to look and taste a certain way when using contaminated water.
Why you need to install a filter
Installing a water filter helps remove impurities that affect your cooking. It will also get rid of unpleasant tastes and odours that degrade food quality.
A high quality filter that is easy to install and replace allows you to conveniently fill your pots and pans with water straight from the sink. Waters Co, for instance, offers lightweight but durable benchtop water filters that reduce fluoride, remove contaminants, and alkalise tap water.
Our 13-step filtration technology put tap water through multi-stage cartridges, sub-micron pre-filter pads, activated carbon, and an ion exchange softener for healthy and great tasting water that’s ideal for food preparation.
A countertop filter is an affordable way of making sure that your family has access to clean water at all times, whether for drinking, cooking, or preparing beverages. Filter cartridges only need to be replaced every few months or years, depending on use and longevity.
Aside from its economic advantages, water filters tend to pay for themselves over the long run, requiring little maintenance and doing away with the need for bottled water in your home.
The benefits of cooking with clean water
Cooking with filtered water is an easy way to improve the quality of the food you eat. Considering the amount of time and energy we spend preparing meals, it’s worth guaranteeing the best results with filtered water.
Some of the benefits include:
- Cleaner vegetables and fruit – Filtered water allows you to wash produce while making sure they don’t get contaminated by chlorine and chemical byproducts.
- Appetising meals – As mentioned previously, chlorine can strip vegetables of their natural sheen and color, resulting in drab-looking dishes. Using filtered water helps preserve color during the boiling process.
- Better texture – Poor water quality and overcooking can result in soggy vegetables, whereas filtered water helps keep veggies stay crunchy and retain their texture with proper cooking.
- Beverages and desserts – Enjoy better tasting tea, coffee, and dessert.
- Less sodium – Tap water is almost always hard water, that is, water containing minerals. Cooking with hard water that hasn’t been treated via reverse osmosis exposes you to higher amounts of salt.
- Protect cooking appliances – Using a water filter for the entire home helps protect your kitchen appliances because it softens and removes chalk from tap water, preventing the build-up of limescale, a white deposit, in appliances. This will make it easier to clean kitchen appliances, as well as help them last longer.
- Peace of mind – Prepare meals without having to worry about contaminants spoiling your food or putting your family’s health at risk.
Cook with confidence when you install a water filter in your home. Only a trusted brand like Waters Co can give you the assurance you need. Visit our shop today.